Premier Family Law Representation In Southern Florida

Mark Abzug

Loss of income might mean getting a child support modification

On Behalf of | Jan 16, 2015 | Child Support

Those of you who read our post last week know that we discussed the role of the hearing officer in some family law cases. We briefly touched on how the hearing officer can determine the suitability of a child support modification request. Some of our Florida readers might not have realized that it is sometimes possible to have a child support order modified if there are significant changes to a parent’s income; however, that is sometimes possible.

Most parents want to support their children, but some find that very difficult. In an economy where layoffs and downsizing are occurring often, there are some parents who simply can’t afford to pay child support in the way it was previously ordered. In those cases, the parent might choose to seek a child support modification that takes that reduction or elimination of income into account.

We know how hard it is to ask the court to reduce the amount of support you give your child. Making that request is usually a lot easier than facing the possibility of becoming delinquent in your payments and having to face failure to pay consequences. We can help you prepare and file a Petition to Modify Support.

Until you file the petition, the child support amount you are ordered to pay remains the same. Even without a job, you are responsible for those payments until you let the court know you have a significant and involuntary change in your circumstances. Don’t wait until it is too late and you fall behind on your payments. Instead, take action now so you can get back on your feet without worrying about facing the consequences of failing to keep up with support payments.