Premier Family Law Representation In Southern Florida

Mark Abzug

How can I help my child to thrive in my home after divorce?

On Behalf of | Aug 17, 2017 | Child Custody

Having to split your time between two houses isn’t something that most adults would do willingly; however, it is something that many children have to do. If you and your ex have children, there is a chance that they are in this position.

There are some ways that you can help your children to adjust to life in two houses. Consider these points:

What can I do to make my child more comfortable?

Give your child a space of his or her own. This could mean his or her own room or a shared room with siblings. Just make sure that this is a space where they can feel at home. If possible, let your children decorate the area in a way that makes them happen.

How can I make transition time easier?

One thing that you can do is to make sure that your child has things at your house that he or she will need. While it might not be possible to avoid having to pack up some stuff, you should have at least the basics at your home so they feel like they live there. Toiletries, underclothes and similar items are some ideas. Try to keep some favorite things, such as foods and toys, in the house.

What things should I avoid?

Try to avoid making the child compare houses or speak negatively about the other house. Don’t try to make your child relay messages between parents or spy on parents. This isn’t a competition. Both you and your ex should have the same goal — ensuring your child can thrive and be happy.

Source: Our Family Wizard, “7 Ways to Help Your Kids Live Happily in Two Houses,” accessed Aug. 17, 2017