Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.
Law Offices of Mark Abzug, PA
Protect Your Rights. Get Answers. Call Today. 954-753-1003
2801 University Drive Suite 203
Coral Springs, FL 33065

November 2013 Archives

How to deal with a non-paying parent

Florida parents may wonder about the best way to handle a situation in which the non-custodial parent is either unwilling or unable to pay child support. While it is true that the non-paying parent in some cases may ultimately go to jail, the custodial parent may not benefit from trying to get support money by obtaining the other parent's prison wages. However, there are some strategies that can help make the situation more bearable.

Rupert Murdoch's soon-to-be ex keeps famous penthouse

Florida residents may have heard about Rupert Murdoch's complex property division that is part of finalizing his divorce and 14-year marriage to Wendi Deng Murdoch. The settlement is waiting to be finalized by a New York judge.

Divorce, retirement and benefits

Florida couples going through a divorce later in life may wonder if it will have any effect on their respective Social Security benefits. Current law provides that an ex-spouse who has been divorced for at least two years can collect retirement benefits based upon the work record of the other spouse under certain conditions. The marriage had to last for at least 10 years, the ex-spouse cannot have remarried, must be at least 62 years of age and cannot be eligible for higher benefits based on his or her own employment history. The former partner does not need to be receiving benefits in order for the ex-spouse to qualify.

Dividing debt in divorce

Florida residents who are planning to divorce may wonder what happens if the other spouse continues to accumulate joint debt on a credit card that is still in both of their names. Problems can arise if a spouse continues to use joint accounts that were granted to the other spouse as part of the property division agreement without making payments.